A lot of issues at the workplace will be non-existent if only people could communicate effectively. Each person will have their own definition of what effective communication means and this is what makes communication difficult to master. I would say that communication is effective when the listener understands a message just the way the sender has meant it to be. Our personality, behavioural choices and emotional makeup – all set up “filters” in our mind, which is why we vary so much in the way we interpret what we hear.
An astute communicator is someone who constructs messages after completely understanding the listeners “filters”. Though a person’s body language, tone or gestures may indicate their mood, to gain complete understanding of the “filter” in their mind, it is important to be able to accurately predict their behavioural styles. In doing so, the communicator can adapt communication in accordance with the listener’s preferred behavioural vis–a vis communication style. This in turn makes communication effective because each individual ends up speaking the way the other prefers.
How does DiSC Profiles help in effective communication?
DiSC can help you become a better communicator in four simple steps:
- Know your DiSC Style: Getting yourself assessed using DiSC Assessments will increase your self-awareness. This is also the starting point to determine the behavioural choices of others.
- Spot the other’s DiSC Style: Understanding the DiSC model will help you spot other DiSC styles.
- Understand how to flex your style to suit other styles: Recognise the different types of communication styles that work and don’t work when communicating with people of other DiSC styles.
- Continuously work on communication improvements using DiSC Styles as a reference: Consciously work towards developing a communication style that enhances your performance at the workplace and improves synergy with people you regularly interact with both at work and outside.
Which DiSC Profiles can be used for communication training programs?
Everything DiSC Workplace Profile
- A comprehensive 20 page report, that has emerged from research spanning over three decades, that helps you connect better with people you work with.
- The Everything DiSC Workplace reports gives deep insights into your behavioural priorities and preferences and teaches how to communicate to people whose behavioural priorities are different from yours.
- The Everything DiSC Workplace Profile helps individuals understand how they communicate with other DiSC Styles and provide strategies for making the communication more effective.
- Specific tips are provided on how to communicate to each style during conflict or when the going gets tough.
Personal Listening Profile
Being a good listener is just as important as knowing how to speak. A lot of communication training programs forget to give listening the importance it deserves. DiSC Communication Training Workshops also focus on sharpening listening skills. The Personal Listening profile uses the DiSC Model to help an individual understand their natural approach to listening and helps them listen better to people who may prefer an alternate style.
- Increase understanding on different approaches to listening and know the one you prefer.
- Understand why you listen the way you do, in the context of your natural listening style.
- Know your strengths and black spots in listening.
- Learn what you expect from others as listeners.
- Increase your awareness on communication and listening gaps and know how to bridge them.
- Use the above to build a communication action plan.
It is highly recommended that you register for a DiSC Certification Program to understand more about how to use DiSC Assessments for training your people to be effective communicators.